Your Steps To Lose Weight
1. Select and prepare foods in a heart healthy way.
- Consume fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk and cheese.
- Consume fruits and vegetables with your meals.
- Drink water or other calorie-free drinks instead of regular soda.
- Eat lean cuts of meat and fish.
2. Prepare foods the heart healthy way.
- Instead of frying in high calories oils, why not bake, broil, or grill your foods for great flavor without the extra oily calories.
- Cook beans and rice without lard or bacon.
- Use fat-free or low-fat dressing on your salad.
3. Read the food labels to choose foods lower in calories and sugar.
Compare nutrition facts food labels for liquids including water, soda and juices to and weed out one high in sugar and calories.
4. Limit your portion size.
- Eat small meals and healthy snacks throughout the day instead of one big meal.
- When eating out:
- Split a main dish with a friend.
- Order two small side orders, such as a half sandwich and salad, instead of a large entree.
- Divide your main dish in half as soon as you get it. Ask the waiter to wrap the other half “to go.”
5. Say “Yes” to Physical Activity.
Make physical activity your answer to feeling tired, bored, and out of shape.
- Set your goal. Start slowly and work your way up.
- Do your favorite moderate physical activity for 30 to 60 minutes on most days. If you are short on time, divide it up. For example, walk for 20 minutes three times a day.
- Write down the activities you plan to do.
How To Start Your Family Plan To Lose Weight
- Pick a day to begin.
- Change one thing at a time.
- Make the changes slowly. Stick to them.
Examples of Moderate and Vigorous Activities
You may breathe harder, or your heart may beat faster. You should still be able to talk with a friend.
- Brisk walking
- Lifting weights
- Riding a stationary bike
You may breathe harder, or your heart may beat very fast. It will be hard to talk with a friend at the same time.
- Doing aerobic exercises
- Jumping rope
- Playing sports
Physical activity helps you improve your heart health, reduce stress, and feel better. Follow the steps below to get started.
Are you ready to begin?
- You can start physical activity slowly if you do not have a health problem.
- If you have a health problem, check with your doctor before starting physical activity.